The Kendal Leadership Fellows Program
‘Learn, renew, grow’
The Kendal Leadership Fellows program is modeled after the LeadingAge Leadership Academy and develops Kendal staff members into leaders who are grounded in Kendal values, mission, and ideals.
Fellows participants are provided safe space for introspective thought; taught the values-based leadership tools of self-awareness, feedback, innovation, continuous learning, etc.; and are introduced to an enduring network of talented colleagues.
The Design Team members for the 2022-2023 program year are Lynne Giacobbe (Kendal at Home), Eva Kaeten (The Kendal Corporation), and Judy Sorum Brown. The vast majority of lessons and content were developed by Judy Sorum Brown, who has been the lead designer of the Kendal Fellows program since its inception in 2012, and who has also served as lead facilitator for the LeadingAge Leadership Academy since its inception, as well as countless leadership initiatives for organizations ranging from the federal government to Ford to the Urban Library Council.
What Fellows Say About the Program
“I couldn’t let another day pass with out me sending you a SINCERE THANK YOU! For this Life changing leadership course. Even in all that your day to day encompasses , you still found time to share , teach, and lead one of the BEST Leadership training, that I have ever experienced. ”
“I wanted to take a moment to say a huge “Thank You” to each of you for allowing me to participate in the 2021/2022 Kendal Leadership Fellows Program over the past year. Although our class sessions had to be done virtually for the first time ever, I feel that the entire class still thoroughly participated and enjoyed each and every session. We have made great connections and learned so much from each other and from each of you as our leaders of the program. I highly endorse this program and wish you many more successful programs ahead, hopefully in person. I am honored to be a graduate of the 2021/2022 class.”
“I have greatly appreciated the fellowship I received from this experience. Each and every one of you has such a brilliant light to share with the world and I thank you for sharing a bit of it with me.”
- Heightened self-awareness that improves interactions with staff, colleagues, residents, and others and enhances decision-making.
- Improved capacity to offer useful feedback and to make good use of feedback from others.
- Ability to consider any situation from multiple perspectives and engage others in decision-making with better long-term results.
- Skills for handling difficult conversations using Quaker-based techniques and organizational learning processes.
- Ability to sustain a learning organization, fostering the Quaker process of “continuous revelation”—realizing that if we want to improve, we must always be learning.
- Strategies for building reflection into action-packed workdays.
- A network of relationships across departments and among Kendal Affiliates that increases trust, strengthens teamwork and allows for System-wide innovation.
- Greater alignment of Kendal values with our day-to-day business practices and ways of working together, increasing System capacity and enhancing Kendal’s competitive advantage.
A Significant Commitment
Commitment to Show Up:
Fellows must attend all ten four-hour sessions beginning in September.
Permission to Focus:
Written permission from each candidate’s supervisor is required stating the candidate is both allowed and enabled to be 100% present during each session, with no interruptions or distractions.
Desired Skill Sets:
Those who will flourish in this program are the people who others regularly seek out; those to whom others naturally turn during times of conflict, pressure or celebration. These are people who are curious, who like to learn, are growth-oriented and are collaborative. Unlike many leadership programs, this program encourages candidates who are not in current leadership roles. Fellows can be front-line staff or managers; administrative staff or grounds persons.
Cost per Affiliate with Group Discount:
- $1,500 per person
- $1,000 per person for 2-4 people from the same affiliate
- $750.00 per person for 5 or more people from the same affiliate